Wabion’s Senior Cloud Architect keeps you up to date with the latest news from, about and around Google Cloud. Jörn’s update addresses both technology-focussed and business-oriented readers who want to stay in the know about the fastest-growing public cloud provider. Our new series typically appears once a month (this issue covers two months) and always gets to the point.
1. From Architecture Diagram to GCP Deployment: Google Cloud launches a brand-new Architecture Diagram Tool that is capable of deploying GCP-Services directly from the Architecture Canvas. It even includes a lot of reference architectures and is integrated with the updated Google Cloud Cheat Sheet. Making use cases work on GCP was never easier.
2. Sustainability: “Active Assist is a part of Google Cloud’s AIOps solution that uses data, intelligence, and machine learning to reduce cloud complexity and administrative toil.” It now provides new sustainability recommendations, e.g. to measure the impact of unattended projects. Check this article for more information.
3. Cloud Functions (2nd gen): Google Cloud Functions are widely used for various use cases. Read more about the significant update that comes along with the introduction of the next generation of Cloud Functions here.
4. BigQuery: There is great news for Data Engineering folks. This article on the new SQL features will tell you why.
5. Kubernetes / GKE 1: Find here important information about “changes to Kubectl authentication coming in GKE v1.25” and how to avoid problems.
6. Compute Engine: Let’s welcome the newest member to the compute optimized VMs family called C2D, powered by the latest 3rd Gen AMD EPYC processors.
7. Web Security: Don’t you use reCaptcha Enterprise to protect your web applications? By reading this article you will understand what you’re missing and how to stop automated website attacks.
8. IaC: Here’s some good practices when it comes to using Infrastructure as Code (like terraform) to deploy your GCP-resources / configurations.
9. Container Platforms: Get the latest “Forrester Wave: Public Cloud Container Platforms” that names Google Cloud as a leader in this field.
10. Certificate Management: HTTPS Load Balancing needs TLS certificates. Make your life easier by trying out Certificate Manager integrated with External HTTPS Load Balancing now in preview.
11. Cloud Security: The monthly must-read when it comes to cloud- and cyber security – “Cloud CISO Perspectives: January 2022” by Phil Venables, CISO of Google Cloud.
12. GKE 2: Google Cloud Deploy to make continuous delivery to GKE easier, faster, and more reliable, is now GA. Get more information here.
13. GCP Lifehack: The new All Products Page is a nice tool that helps you discover and find GCP products more easily in the GCP Console.
14. SAP & BigQuery: Many companies want to bring their data to BigQuery for advanced analytics. This has become much easier with Data Fusion SAP Connectors. Find more information on the additional capability of Google Cloud’s native data integration platform here.
15. DNS Security: Great article on Medium on how to protect from DNS exfiltration using Google Cloud DNS.
16. VPC Service Controls: Another great article on Medium, this one is on VPC Service Controls Lessons Learned.
17. Autonomic Security Operations: SOC can learn from SRE by applying software engineering practices to security operation challenges. Read this interesting article about the key consideration when automating SOC.
That’s it for this time. All the best – and stay tuned for the next update in March!